Happy Monday! Last week in coffee: Coffee price increases have reached market shelves, a coffee mug that’s really a portable brewer, and a Washington state company brings together coffee and cannabis.
– JM Smucker, the company that sells such recognizable coffee brands as Dunkin’ Donuts and Folgers, has announced a 9%price increase for packaged bags of its coffee sold through grocery and retail stores. K-cups and bags sold through Dunkin’ Donuts stores will not be affected by the increase. – We’ve been hearing about the increase in coffee prices due to the coffee shortage in Brazil, but this is the first time we are actually seeing the higher costs being passed down to the consumers. It probably won’t be the last either.
- JM Smucker To Hike Coffee Prices By 9% (money.cnn.com)
- Coffee-Futures Run-Up Makes Way to Store Shelves (online.wsj.com)
– Hey Joe Coffee has developed the Hey Joe Coffee Mug, a portable thermos looking device that brews coffee at the push of a button – just insert a Hey Joe Coffee pod, add water, and tada! Fresh brewed coffee on the go. You can control the temperature of the brew (140 degrees, 155 degrees, or cold drip) by the number of times you press the button. As an added green bonus, the coffee pods contain seeds, so you can plant them and they will grow! The company is running a Kickstarter campaign through July 3rd – The mug is a little pricey at $69, but this sounds awesome and totally worth it. Watch the embedded video below and behold the awesome-ness.
- Hey Joe Coffee Website (heyjoecoffee.com)
- Geniuses Create A Mug That Can Brew Its Own Coffee (businessinsider.com)
– Mirth Provisions, a company located in Washington State where Marijuana has recently been legalized, has come up with a cold brew coffee drink containing THC (Tetrahydrocannabinol – the active chemical in Marijuana responsible for the “high” experienced with usage). Each 11.5 ounce bottle contains 20 mg of THC and is considered to be two serving sizes (Washington’s marijuana edibles rule is only 10 mg of THC per serving). The company offers the coffee drink in “cold brew” and “cold brew with milk + sugar” varieties, as well as cannabis-infused sparkling sodas in three flavors: Rainer Cherry, Lemon Ginger, and Pomegranate. – Since Marijuana hasn’t been legalized where I live, I wouldn’t be able to try this for myself, but if you’re from a place where it’s legal, and you’re a legal adult, it sounds like this company’s offerings might be worth a try.